- Discuss different genres of books with your child and explain the reasons why reading a wide variety of books can be beneficial.
- Take your child to the local library and allow him/her an opportunity to select different genres of books on their own. If your child has a hard time making a selection, then you and your child can ask the librarian for suggestions. The more input your child has in the selection process, the more willing they will be to try something new.
- Offer to read a genre of book along with your child that he or she has not yet tried. Whether a child is 5 or 12, he or she will enjoy sharing a story with you. Make it exciting. Children may try reading different genres simply because they look forward to spending quality time with you.
- Ask your child’s teacher for suggestions on how to gently introduce new genres to your child.
- Again, if your child is extremely resistant to trying a new reading genre, that’s okay. Be glad that your child enjoys reading the books he/she likes for now, and try again at a later date.
From the article: “Why Children Benefit From Reading a Variety of Books” Written by: Dr. Felecia Nace, Family and Community Relations Office, New Jersey Department of Education http://www.state.nj.us/