Thursday, January 21, 2016
PBIS - Own Your Actions
Our school theme 2nd quarter was "Own Your Actions." Here are some tips and quotes to help foster accepting responsibility for one's actions:
Moving From Excuses to Responsibility
1. Respond Calmly - creating an environment where mistakes are okay is healthy and will promote honesty.
2. Encourage Personal Responsibility - teach the difference between an explanation, which accepts responsibility and an excuse, which tends to blame.
3. Teach Problem Solving Skills - help reflect on the various choices that one has in the moment.
4. Emphasize Learning from Mistakes - acknowledge honesty, connect their errors to different outcomes so they learn from this experience.
5. Model - give examples of how you have learned from your mistakes and share the difficulties and benefits of accepting responsibility for your own actions.
6. Apologize - http://squareheadteachers.
com/2013/07/29/3-steps-to- apologize-free-poster/. Please insert 3steps to an apology free poster/ picture from this website at the end.